Get to know your fellow players..

Talk about general stuff not related to Shadows & Silver. Just, please, no pointless spam.
Sherincall
Senior Developer
Google Talk:Sherincall@gmail.com
Get to know your fellow players..

Post by Sherincall » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:15 am

Use this topic to give us as much, or as little real life info as you want. Some people tend to be very personal, some very discreet. We won't force anything, but here's a chance for those who want to say something about themselves to do so.
Brother Silence: He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent!
DM: Lose fifty experience.

Squatting Monk
Head Developer
Google Talk:squattingmonk

Re: Get to know your fellow players

Post by Squatting Monk » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:17 pm

I'll start. I'm a wannabe author working on two books. The first is a work of fiction set in the world of Shadows & Silver. I've been working on the novel for six years, and have had little to show for it until now. My goal in both writing my novel and creating this PW is not so much to entertain as to say something important about the human experience. Specifically, I want to show the futility of human action but also the enduring character of hope. As I have examined how to weave such statements into a story, the world of Shadows & Silver has sprung up, evolving to meet the needs of the tale.

Personally, I'm newly married and living in the Dallas area. I'm a political and anti-war activist (though I try to keep my political attitudes out of my writing and world design). What free time I don't spend working on Shadows & Silver I usually spend catching up on my reading list (which currently reaches a foot over my head) and trying to write something that doesn't suck.
Squatting Monk

Sherincall
Senior Developer

Re: Get to know your fellow players..

Post by Sherincall » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 am

I've completely forgotten about this thread.. Okay, here's me:

I'm a student living in Belgrade, Serbia. Most of my free time right now (which is not much as I have a lot of on-going projects which I have to do) goes into Shadows and Silver. My other interests mostly revolve around music (I play guitar). I'm a metalhead-turned-musical person. Now the stuff I enjoy listening to the most is Pink Floyd and Tool, but I always like to hear something new and creative.

I'm a very persistent person, meaning that I will never give up on a project I like. That's the reason why I'll never stop working on LoA. Who knows? Maybe once I'm done with the university I'll make a whole new game that will be LoA.

Hrm, Monk, I'm very interested in your musical taste. Would you mind listing your top N favorite performers/composers? Here are mine:
  • Tool
  • Pink Floyd
  • A Perfect Circle
  • Apocalyptica
  • Vangelis
  • Fantomas
  • Dream Theater
  • Wagner
  • Alice in Chains
Brother Silence: He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent!

Squatting Monk
Head Developer

Post by Squatting Monk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:39 pm

I can listen to anything but rap, really, so my music tastes are rather eclectic. Among those I listen to most are Nickel Creek, Third Day, Breaking Benjamin, and Coldplay, but every now and then I'm in the mood for indie, metal, or (yeah, I know it's weird) opera. I also listen to a lot of acoustic guitar, especially those artists published by Windham Hill, and orchestral music. As for all-time favorite music, it's a toss-up between Beethoven's 5th and Arvo Pärt's Tabula Rasa.

I'm a guitarist also, though I rarely have time to play anymore. I do teach a guitar class at the center where I work, though.
Squatting Monk

Ben Harrison
Project Contributor
Google Talk:Ben.842@gmail.com

Post by Ben Harrison » Mon May 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Guess I should post something here too-

I'm a 24 year-old living in the English countryside, currently unemployed and a would-be author, in the sense that I very rarely actually write for the sake of writing, or producing a final work, mostly due to lack of motivation. Though my interests and personality might suggest otherwise, I have little imagination and less artistic talent. When I achieve something it's generally through bloody-minded relentless will and desire to do so. Other than reading, listening to music*, playing & modding RPGs, and keeping up with computer hardware news, I'm intensely interested in physical and mental self-improvement, bodyweight strength, parkour and some martial arts. I'm single (and intend to stay that way indefinitely), consider no one a friend (excepting those few I know online who fit the description), daydream a lot, and have a deep and long-time love for fantasy worlds of various kinds.

I eat a vegan diet (meaning no meat or anything animal-derived at all), though I can't technically be called a vegan since I occasionally use leather in shoes and belts. I was once extremely concerned with issues of human & animal rights and pacifism, but no longer have any interest in these things despite my choice of diet. I don't take drugs, alcohol or coffee, and, depending on my mood, have little to no respect for any religion. I consider myself to be a narcissist, but have never seriously pursued any sort of analysis or diagnosis of a possible personality disorder.

I also have a tendency to say far, far too much in these "introduce yourself" type threads...

*My musical tastes include the following artists, but I can and do listen to anything from rap to opera if I like how it sounds:

• Tool
• Apocalyptica
• Red Hot Chili Peppers
• The Fucking Champs
• Nine Inch Nails
• Dead Can Dance
• Kyuss
• Playland (I doubt anyone's heard of them)
• Elan Michaels (ditto)
• Alice In Chains
• Jimi Hendrix

Sherincall
Senior Developer

Post by Sherincall » Mon May 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Ben Harrison wrote:• Tool
• Apocalyptica
• Red Hot Chili Peppers
• The Fucking Champs
• Nine Inch Nails
• Dead Can Dance
• Kyuss
• Playland (I doubt anyone's heard of them)
• Elan Michaels (ditto)
• Alice In Chains
• Jimi Hendrix
Based on my liking of those I've heard of, I'll be sure to check out those I haven't. Thanks.

Squatting Monk
Head Developer

Post by Squatting Monk » Mon May 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Ben Harrison wrote:...a would-be author, in the sense that I very rarely actually write for the sake of writing, or producing a final work, mostly due to lack of motivation. Though my interests and personality might suggest otherwise, I have little imagination and less artistic talent. When I achieve something it's generally through bloody-minded relentless will and desire to do so.

Dude, it sounds like we're in the same boat. One of these days I'll get something more written on that book, I swear!
Squatting Monk

Sherincall
Senior Developer

Post by Sherincall » Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm

I have the same problem with my music composing.. Can I join the club? Please? I'll give you cookies.

Casa
Project Contributor

Post by Casa » Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 am

Time to drop the pants finally, huh? Okay, now that I'm standing here, pants down, you can see I'm really male (despite what of a bunch of Nexus players were thinking), neither gay nor any other uncommon orientation, just having a thing for playing cute little elves in fantasy games. :)
Besides that... I'm a grumpy old fart in real life (that means, I'm above 30, or 32 to be exact), I used to do Photoshop and some other graphics stuff for a living until I decided (last week) to drop the whole thing and go back into unemployment after 4 years of growing hate against this whole fashion/advertising scene. It basically ruined my hobby, which was doing graphics stuff for myself and not for others, and that's where it should go back to. So I hope to get back to studying, maybe cultural sciences or something that feeds my brain again, you can cross your fingers for me that it'll work out.
What else? I have high ambitions and fail a lot due to a lack of discipline and self-esteem. My past jobs, my education, most of it was based on luck, not on willpower. I started to play various instruments, mostly guitar, also mandolin, tablas, violin, but never had the discipline to really work on the basics. The same goes for a lot of my hobbies, I'm starting with high ambitions, then slowly loose my faith in it as soon as it means more work than fun, then give up or stick with the status quo. You can really see my ups and downs quite clearly on my NWN2 blog I guess, but it's at least one hobby I've kept up longer than most others, and I'm not ready to drop the ball again. :)
What else.... single, right... not always been, not planning to stick to it, but at the moment probably the best. Music, now that's something I dive into and swim a lot in, even if only consuming. It's easier to make a list of what I don't like than what I like, but it's a wide range from English folk over Jazz, some classics, classic and modern rock, some weird Neo-Folk, some Electronics... you could say if the radio doesn't play it, I own the record. Vinyl of course. ;)
I'm also a movie junkie, have been a bookworm until the computer came into my life and ruined that, and... phew, enjoy a glass of wine sometimes, should eat more, smoke too much, live on coffee, hate sports. I can get extremely pissed about unfairness, injustice, intrigues and selfishness (Squatting Monk can vouch for that), and I'm not holding back with my opinion.
I also hate you all because you stick with NWN1 instead of working on my mod, but I can forgive... sometimes. ;)

Now can I join the club of disillusioned composers too?

Squatting Monk
Head Developer

Post by Squatting Monk » Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Casa wrote:...I used to do Photoshop and some other graphics stuff for a living until I decided (last week) to drop the whole thing and go back into unemployment after 4 years of growing hate against this whole fashion/advertising scene.
Hooray! I remember Chis and me telling you to quit... what? Two years ago? Congrats! Money is no excuse for misery.
mandolin
Ooo... me too. I bought a mandolin on the spur of the moment (was supposed to be buying guitar strings), learned a few chords, then got too busy to learn anything else.
I also hate you all because you stick with NWN1 instead of working on my mod, but I can forgive... sometimes. ;)
Viva NWN1! Though when you need scripts, just lemme know.
Now can I join the club of disillusioned composers too?
We should totally make t-shirts to display our club pride. Something sort of emo but sort of hopeful at the same time. Like, "I suck, but I'm working on that." Hell, I'd wear a shirt like that every day if I had one. :mrgreen:
Squatting Monk