What annoys you?

Talk about general stuff not related to Shadows & Silver. Just, please, no pointless spam.
Alyzr
Player
What annoys you?

Post by Alyzr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:23 am

In terms of role playing experiences. Mine are as follows, in no particular order.

- When a player doesn't take the time to use proper grammar. Especially long winded players, and especially when it is due to simple laziness. In online role play, a good use of the English language is equally important to me as remaining in character.

- When a player emotes things that my character couldn't possibly know.

*Dan takes a seat on the bench, staring aimlessly into space. He smiles slightly as he remembers that he was going to read his book. He reaches into his pack, only to see that he cannot find his book. "Where did I leave my book?" he wonders...*

This is particularly evident in self involved players that enjoy playing over dramatic characters. These characters are usually overly dark and mysterious.

*The hardened warrior takes a seat before the fire. He stares into the flames, his eyes widening as he remembers the war, a single tear forming in his eyes (Despite the only other character being across the room, facing the wall.) as he remembers all of the carnage, and the bloodshed.*

- Statues. This is likely one of the most annoying things I've encountered in NwN. Characters who tend to exclusively wear dark colors (Especially obnoxious amounts of pure black), a hood, and stand against poles, walls, and other things, emoting shit like..

*smirk*

*smokes cigg*

Their only form of mobility is side-stepping obnoxiously so they can type out *gropes* to one of the females in his little wall-standing clique.

- When a player attempts to recreate something they saw in a movie or a game. When assassins creed came out, I saw a massive increase in the amount of assassins, with their wrist blades and the like. The same thing happened when 300 came out.

- When a player makes no attempt to convey emotion or write a decently clever emote. I usually see these characters as lifeless, and thus, immersion is broken.

- When I examine someone, and there is nothing there, or a paragraph about fame and fortune / being wanderlust / etc.

- When I examine someone, and their entire bio is there.

- When I examine someone, and there isn't any grammar, and it's a 500 slur of words with no paragraphs, commas, or periods.

:?

Squatting Monk
Head Developer
Google Talk:squattingmonk

Re: What annoys you?

Post by Squatting Monk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:17 pm

As someone who used to do a lot of the above and has since grown up, I feel ya. I've also mellowed out from the militant hardcore RP stance I'd had in the past. Still, here's the big thing:
  • Players who don't believe that "evil" is a license to do whatever you want but that do believe "good" is a license to do whatever you want as long as the person you do it to is evil. "My character is good, which means I can kill your evil ass on sight!"
Squatting Monk

Sherincall
Senior Developer
Google Talk:Sherincall@gmail.com

Post by Sherincall » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Alignments.

Also, whenever a character who isn't psychopathic starts killing monsters, or worse yet humanoids for no reason whatsoever, other than because the player was bored. Also the fact that most characters are not at all bothered by the fact that they've just killed another (100) human(s) who were likely someone's parent/child/sibling/friend. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html

Another thing is how easily characters shrug off wounds. Especially true in DnD. "Ahh, he cleaved my head in two with that axe.. Wait, I think I have another potion left.. Ah, all good."

Some time ago, I decided to play in one of the good RP servers out there.. Seeing as I've already played Arabel, the second best one I knew about was Escape from the Underdark. I wanted to play an Elven low rank officer (such as a patrol leader). Problem is, I needed to be level 4 or 5 to roleplay him normally (skilled warrior dual-wielding longswords). Okay, seeing as he escaped an ambush by the drow, he can be wounded. His left wrist was broken, and he couldn't use his left hand. That way I won't completely suck at combat (I can still use a shield) and can live up to my reputation for the few days before I can take the necessary feats.
After few hours of fairly solid roleplay, a famous and powerful cleric walks by. One of the characters there asks the cleric to heal my wrist. He casts Cure Light Wounds. I tell him that the bone has been completely smashed and that it will take a lot of time before it could heal properly. He then casts regeneration saying it will work. I roleplay like it doesn't, and he proceeds to convince me (IC, and then OOC) that regenerate can fix any wound, and if that doesn't work, he'll cut my hand off, and then cast it, as that surely does. He is supported by another character who said that the spell brought him from a dismembered carcass to his normal state in a few seconds. I give up, and kill my character at the first appropriate moment. I make sure to be completely eaten and digested and well beyond raising, just in case.
Brother Silence: He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent!
DM: Lose fifty experience.

Casa
Project Contributor

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:24 pm

- Alignments, seconded.

- Black and white stereotypes too (see alignments)

- Forced RP like in Sherincall's example. I want to have a certain control over my character, and if I RP an unhealthy, coughing beggar, I don't want the next cleric passing by to heal him up in a manner of seconds, thereby ruining my concept. I also only use dice rolling as a rough guide, if my character is clever enough not to believe a blatant lie, no bluff roll in the high 40's can convince him.

- as for emotes, that's a personal thing and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I always found it funny when the emotes are written story-like, like "Jack is leaning against the wall, waving lazily". We have entered the age of computer roleplaying games which feature a VGA output, and what I see on the screen makes me pretty sure it is indeed Jack who emotes, and not Sybill at the other end of the room, and I could've figured that out myself, thank you. I like to keep it simple and don't remind others of who I am. :)

- Buffs. I HATE being buffed up without being asked. I hate my sneaky little rogue running around with 120 different effects that make her own talents totally unimportant, because even a level 1 commoner could go Balor hunting buffed up like that.

Alyzr
Player

Post by Alyzr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Players who role play chaotic neutral as chaotic stupid.

Ben Harrison
Project Contributor
Google Talk:Ben.842@gmail.com

Post by Ben Harrison » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:42 pm

• Alignments
Thirded. If I can't mod them or ignore them in the setting I'm playing in, they'll annoy me sooner or later (and probably sooner rather than later). It's really the fundamental implication behind their existence that annoys me, rather than the system itself, though: Objective morality.

• Accidental psychos/characters to whom life (and dealing death) means nothing
Seconded. It's difficult to expect all but the most mental roleplayers to really take into account all the little nuances that go along with fighting and killing (and how it makes a person feel), but a little sense of there being a person (read: character) beneath the death-dealing on-screen sprite goes a long way.

• In-depth/story-style emotes
Totally disagree with you guys about these. As soon as you let the computer screen tell you what the world looks and reacts like or what characters are doing, you've stopped roleplaying as far as I'm concerned. I used to roleplay whole adventures/training sessions with friends in areas that weren't (and couldn't be) created in the module, by just describing the environment and my characters' actions. That said, I partially agree with Alyzr about the "information no one could know" emotes; I tend to scale the amount of non-visible information up or down depending on the situation. If my character's having a two-hour long discussion with his or her lover who've been roleplayed together for 18 months, you can bet there's a lot more than "*nods*, *smiles*, *reaches for the ale mug*" and so on. In less familiar or intimate situations (ie, the majority) I resort to suggestion and metaphor.

The rugged man leans back dangerously far in his chair, dusty boots resting carelessly atop the table, with a glint in his eye that suggests he'd as soon knife <other character> as speak to him. "Find a table somewhere else, boy. I'm drinking."

Sure everyone knows that when I type it's because my character is doing or saying something, but if you're using the "book" style you need a subject for actions, and in any case it lets you reinforce the character's mannerisms/appearance/etc in the other roleplayers' minds. Maybe you'd forgotten he was rugged, since there isn't a clothing option for that? There sure isn't a "leaning back with dusty boots on the table" animation. NWN's graphics are a (hopefully) visually pleasing representation of a game world and its characters, but they do not describe its scale or its characters' positions and actions accurately for any sort of serious roleplay.

</rant>

More things that annoy me:

• Incredibly harmful, impractical and convoluted religious arguments
... Which are nonetheless 100% RIGHT, because morality is objective.

• Clerics
Here, let me heal you with the power of GOD. Never stop to consider dangerous bloody battles again, GOD will heal you afterwards. Back foul undead, GOD doesn't like you.

• Paladins
See Clerics.

• Players who know all the rules and all the lore
... And think that equals 100% of what is needed to roleplay. It's about 5%. Some of the most dull (if not actually bad/harmful per se) characters I've ever encountered have been played by lore experts. Yes, you know the lore, where's the character?

• Players who try to insult/get at characters they don't like OOC
... Through IC emotes.
- *she smirks at the moronic confused paladin, and walks away*
Either take a step back, or really get IC.

• Characters with no fear of death or maiming
Usually some sort of god-praising sleazeball in full plate is to blame behind the scenes (see Clerics). There are legitimate fearless characters, but they should be rare or a result of specific concepts.

• Characters who cannot be awed
- *smirks as the great wyrm lands in front of him*

• Incredibly well known, blandly discussed afterlives & resurrections
- "Yeah, I died again last week in the Goblin Cave."
- "You better stop worshiping <generic evil lord of doom and darkness no one would actually worship>, because EVERYONE knows hell is real and you'll really go there. There are nine of them, and I know the names of the guys in charge."
- "Sarah was raped, mutilated, and murdered by goblins? No tragedy there, we'll go to the temple and get her raised."
Also see Clerics.

• Use of the DMFI "Animal" language widget
... As a full language spoken only by druids, rangers and... animals. At best it's gestures, sounds, body language that convey strong meanings to a suitably perceptive character. Please, don't use it to turn every bloody deer and badger into Lassie.
- "What's that, small rabbit? You saw the paladin, the ranger, the wizard, and their captive, who is wearing blue trousers and a silver necklace, go north-east fifteen minutes and thirty two seconds ago? And they were discussing ways to cover their tracks? Thanks!"

• A cowardly character
... Whose player is convinced is heroically brave. Usually manifests as the character completely changing their principles and world views depending on how likely it is they can defeat whatever they're faced with, usually based on OOC information.
- "I will never tolerate your kind, <level 1 vampire spawn> scum! Stand and face my holy wrath, DEATH TO ALL VAMPIRES!"
- "Hm, greetings to you <level 30 elder vampire>... *eyes suspiciously, walks away*

• Goodly, righteous, privileged characters
... Who regularly ruin people's lives IC, so long as the lives aren't too important.
- "I saved my goodly paladin friend from the cultists by leading a magical assault on the castle, what does it matter if the kennelmaster's daughter was permanently blinded and a serving girl's face was burned off during the battle?"
Note that The Cleric likely won't repair the damage despite his holy healing of GOD, because he'll be too busy celebrating the defeat of the cultists (who definitely were evil and wrong because morality is objective).

• Destructive Metagaming
- "No, we've been found, and all our well-laid plans are ruined! How did the good guys track us to this small well-hidden hideout in the middle of this 1000-mile square desert, in a single hour? And how did they know to bring the specific items required to end our ritual!?"
NOT to be confused with Constructive Metagaming (though the line is sometimes fine).
- (Hmm, I'll have my character stop at the Dragon's Belly Inn before heading off along the Ogre Road, because the only other players logged in are roleplaying a bard performance at the inn.)

There are a lot more, but I should probably stop here.

Squatting Monk
Head Developer

Post by Squatting Monk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Ben Harrison wrote:• Alignments
Thirded. If I can't mod them or ignore them in the setting I'm playing in, they'll annoy me sooner or later (and probably sooner rather than later). It's really the fundamental implication behind their existence that annoys me, rather than the system itself, though: Objective morality.

I think the biggest problem with objective morality in the game is that it's assumed that everyone believes the same thing about morality and that some people choose to be evil because they just swing that way. In real life, there's very little consensus. In fact, some of the greatest tragedies in the history of the human race happened because of the assumption that, not only is morality object, but that one belief is true above all else. I'll stop there before I Godwin this thread. :P

Suffice it to say, arguments of morality in the game are much more compelling if we assume that characters and, thus, their beliefs are fallible.

• Goodly, righteous, privileged characters
... Who regularly ruin people's lives IC, so long as the lives aren't too important.
- "I saved my goodly paladin friend from the cultists by leading a magical assault on the castle, what does it matter if the kennelmaster's daughter was permanently blinded and a serving girl's face was burned off during the battle?"
Note that The Cleric likely won't repair the damage despite his holy healing of GOD, because he'll be too busy celebrating the defeat of the cultists (who definitely were evil and wrong because morality is objective).

This is a side effect of the Hollywood-ization of society. "There's no such thing as collateral damage, and if there is, it's the price that had to be paid and everyone will be cool with it." This is really the fault of the DM, though. I can't wait for something like this to happen in S&S, because I'm going to have a big long speech prepared.

"Why did you do that? Sure the bandits were demanding tribute, but they never hurt anyone until you showed up. Now half the town is dead!"

"But... you're safe now."

"Safe? We were safe then, as long as we paid the tribute! A couple of bushels of grain each week was far less valuable than the lives of the people that died because of your 'help'." *grabs a torch and pitchfork*

• Destructive Metagaming
- "No, we've been found, and all our well-laid plans are ruined! How did the good guys track us to this small well-hidden hideout in the middle of this 1000-mile square desert, in a single hour? And how did they know to bring the specific items required to end our ritual!?"
NOT to be confused with Constructive Metagaming (though the line is sometimes fine).
- (Hmm, I'll have my character stop at the Dragon's Belly Inn before heading off along the Ogre Road, because the only other players logged in are roleplaying a bard performance at the inn.)

I like this distinction here.
Squatting Monk

Alyzr
Player

Post by Alyzr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:22 am

Casa wrote:
- as for emotes, that's a personal thing and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I always found it funny when the emotes are written story-like, like "Jack is leaning against the wall, waving lazily". We have entered the age of computer roleplaying games which feature a VGA output, and what I see on the screen makes me pretty sure it is indeed Jack who emotes, and not Sybill at the other end of the room, and I could've figured that out myself, thank you. I like to keep it simple and don't remind others of who I am. :)

On the contrary, it endlessly annoys me when someone spouts a half-assed *leans against wall, waves lazily* If you don't wish to elaborate on details, or make your sentence more visually pleasing to yourself, and the others around you, why bother role playing? Text RP is like writing a book where you are only in control of one character. A book that other people will be reading whilst you write it. It's a great deal more immersive if you have an eye for detail because role play is still a writing style. The challenge is to make it detailed without going overboard. *A rugged man walks into the inn.* Okay. How is he rugged? What does his armor look like? What is his facial expression? Does he give a sneer? Does he look tired?

When you do an emote, you are literally describing what your character is doing, and in roleplay, and books alike, it irks me when essential details are left out.

Casa
Project Contributor

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:03 am

Hmm. I, on the contrary, always felt that players writing endless book-style emotes tend to be an elitists club, trying to show off their writing skills. While it's all fine to write detailed emotes, I've often seen players with these emotes looking down on others who prefer a more casual style, just as you said here:
it endlessly annoys me when someone spouts a half-assed *leans against wall, waves lazily* If you don't wish to elaborate on details, or make your sentence more visually pleasing to yourself, and the others around you, why bother role playing?
You have to take into account that there are many different styles to throw emotes, and just like one might be annoyed by short ones that describe only the esssentials, the other might be annoyed by having to wait 10 minutes for that epic bookstyle emote that just puts the same essential informatin into a long text showing off the writer's excellent talent in english writing classes, while that stupid goblin gang just catches the party flatfooted.
Also, these emotes can be very intimidating for the not so talented writer who might simply not be a native speaker. In my past, I've played on one or two servers where you've definitely not been with the Cool Kids if you weren't able to write long essays about your characters facial hair, and that is an attitude I do not wish to recreate in my own world. It has nothing to do with lazyness, it's simple pragmatism, and maybe I'm leaning a little more towards the "casual roleplay" that one can easier adjust to.

Squatting Monk
Head Developer

Post by Squatting Monk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:48 am

Having been one of those emoting elitists (which, by the way, would be a great name for a rock band) and having since grown up, I agree with Casa here. There's nothing wrong with writing big emotes, but it doesn't make you a good roleplayer, just as writing short ones (or forgoing them altogether) doesn't make you a bad one. Emotes are really just there to help keep the immersion and make the fact that you're typing fade into the background. It annoys us all, I think, when that immersion is broken, and that happens with long emotes that are simply for proving how great someone is at roleplaying just as it does with lazy emotes by someone who doesn't care. Really, it's a matter of preference, and little more.
Squatting Monk